Almost every marijuana user knows that you can smoke, vaporize, or consume your bud in edible form. However, many users have never heard of or tried a marijuana tincture. Tinctures provide a fantastic alternative to these other methods. There is no reason not to try making one yourself!
There are two different ways of making a tincture. You can either use some regular bud, or you can use your vaporized bud. Both methods are described below.
But, before you get started, you need to gather the following materials:
– Your favorite bud
– A 190-proof grain alcohol such as Everclear
– A mason jar
– Some small, tinted dropper bottles
– A cheesecloth
– A funnel
– A baking sheet and aluminum foil (when using regular bud only)
Making a Tincture With Regular Bud
To make a tincture out of regular bud, you just need to follow these 6 easy steps:
1) Grind up your marijuana. It is better to use bud that is a little dry than some that is freshly harvested.
2) Spread your bud out on a baking sheet and cover it with foil, sealing the edges tightly. You need to heat the marijuana first because it has to go through processes known as decarboxylation. This is when cannabinoids such as THCA and CBDA are turned into their more well-known, potent, and medicinal forms of THC and CBD.
3) Preheat your oven to around 220°F and bake your bud for 45 minutes.
4) Put the marijuana into a mason jar and pour some grain alcohol over top. The best rule of thumb is to pour in just enough alcohol to cover the top of your bud. If you only use a few grams of bud but fill your mason jar up halfway with alcohol, then your tincture will be too diluted.
5) Seal the jar tightly and store it in a cool, dark place for 3 to 4 days, gently shaking it at least twice a day.
6) Use a cheesecloth to strain the mixture, removing the bud. Pour the remaining tincture into some dropper bottles using a funnel, and store them out of direct sunlight.
Making a Tincture Using Vaporized Bud
Making a tincture out of vaporized bud is even easier, and, though a tincture made from vaped bud may not be as potent as a properly made tincture from regular bud, it does allows you to vaporize all of your bud first and make a tincture from it after, effectively using it all twice.
Another great thing about making a tincture out of vaped bud is that you can skip the heating process entirely. This is especially recommended if your oven runs too hot or doesn’t have accurate temperature control, because you won’t have to risk burning a whole batch of bud. Vaporization, since it already heats up the marijuana to the proper temperature, has already done all of the decarboxylating work for you.
Now all that’s left for you to do is put all of your vaped bud into a mason jar, pour in just enough grain alcohol to cover the top, and seal the jar. Then, exactly as you would for a regular bud tincture, leave the jar in a cool, dark place for a few days, strain your tincture into some medicine bottles, and you’re done!
Marijuana tinctures are fantastic because they allow for easy dose adjustments. You may need to experiment a bit with new strains, but it shouldn’t take long to settle on the proper dose. The effects should come on within 20 to 30 minutes, and have been reported to last anywhere from 2 to 6 hours.
Start with just a few drops under the tongue at first. Wait at least half an hour to experience the effects, and then you can take more. After you know how a few drops affect you, you can up your dose according to your needs. Just make sure you start off small and work your way to a higher dose as needed.
If you do find yourself wanting to take higher doses but have a hard time dealing with the taste, then you can mix your tincture with some of your favorite juice or pop to mask it.